Wednesday 2 March 2016

Oil painting, one day drawing workshops.. and I know.. it's been a while but....

..... things have been quite hectic as usual. December and January were busy - and I can see the Spring Break from my Uni teaching coming up - so I can spend a bit more time with painting and drawing...  Over the last few weeks, I have been doing  a little work out of Colin Merrin's Studio. I have started to use oil paint - something that I tried to do when I was about 8 years old - my mum showed me how to make a start... So I have begun to work with (the lovely) Ed who has been sitting for me as usual. It was great to have the space to do some energetic drawing, and then working on a more formal portrait using oils.. (and not having to worry about the smell of the paint affecting the budgie at home... yes I have a cute little budgie called Todd)

 

 


So I started to work with oils - it was a very releasing experience. It was very exciting and I was able to really 'draw' with paint - and have the space to do it properly. the following series of pictures show the sequence of  learning how oil paints build up the structure of the image.... 

 

I know he looks a bit grumpy - but I wanted to see how to work up the image over time. I quite like the the early oil sketches - as they have an eerie quality to them - but they have no substance to them.  I found it quite difficult to get out of the habit of thinking that the paint would dry any minute - like acrylics - so I had to reconsider my painting technique and was able to slow down my approach to working which has been quite an eye-opener for me.  In the meantime, I have been looking at some of my old favourite painters. Luckily (the lovely) Ed has a degree in Art History - so he knows just which books to read...  I keep a selection of  the books open at different pictures on the floor by my bed - so they are the first things I see in the morning, and the last things I see before going to sleep. At the moment they are books of Manet, Kitaj, Maggi Hambling and Velasquez. This all makes a considerable contrast to all my other academic work involving different aspects of digital culture and cyberspace. 

With the Spring Break well on its way - I have booked some time off from university work and will be running three one day Saturday drawing workshops held in Southsea, Portsmouth UK. The dates and workshops are the following:

Saturday April 2nd: Figurative studies for portraiture. 10.00 – 16.00
Saturday April 9th: Art for the Individual. 10.00 -16.00
Saturday April 16th: Self Portraiture in the age of the ‘selfie’. 10.00 – 16.00

Bring your own favourite drawing materials and a packed lunch. On road parking. Easels and drawing boards supplied. Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits!!

Please do contact me if you would like more information on location/prices and would like to attend one or more of the workshops. All skills from beginner to advanced welcome. These are small friendly sessions and spaces are limited - so please book early. 

I have also been working on some other paintings which I will write about next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment