Tuesday 18 June 2013

Who would have thought...

..that making a simple on line application for a competition for fun or having a passionate conversation about the benefits of creativity to well being at a party would affect so many things...


I used to work as arts and activities coordinator for the Wisdom Hospice in Rochester. I am a real believer in the benefits of creativity during such stressful times for both patients and their families. Creative pursuits can be overlooked during such times of stress, as such activities can  provide comfort, relaxation in times of healing, and help to develop a method for coping. 
...So I was lucky enough to be approached by the Gosport War Memorial Hospital to provide seven large paintings for their Daedalus Ward, where patients cope with dementia.

I am currently a Senior Lecturer and Course Leader at the University of Portsmouth - and during a long spell of marking I decided to apply for the Sky Arts Portrait competition as a welcome diversion instead of making yet another cup of coffee and some encouragement from my partner (the lovely) Ed. I had completed a self portrait a couple of months ago and decided to submit that work - as it appeared to fit the criteria for the competition. I also wanted to see what it felt like to enter on line so that I could also advise students should they enter for jobs or similar events using a similar process. Then I simply forgot about it...

.. So I was flabbergasted when about 5 weeks ago Sky Arts called me to say I had been short listed for the competition. Needless to say.. I choked on my sandwich (I was eating at the time of the phone call).. and slowly panic has started to set in as I prepare...

This blog will follow my progress through the various projects that I work on and provide a working journal of processes and practice.






No comments:

Post a Comment